Here are 5 tips for managing conflict – in a simple step by step process.
If you're dealing with difficult people and face some type of disagreement, negativity, or full blown argument, you have the power to transform that situation.
You do this through:
- The way you feel (therefore the energy you bring)
- How you behave
- What you say
You might notice that these are ALL things you have control over. You can manage your feelings and set yourself up with calm energy. You can also choose how you behave and what you say.
You must take ownership of these 3 things in order to effectively navigate any conflict!
Grab a pen and paper to take notes on and let's get started…
5 Tips for Managing Conflict
- Give up the need to be right.
- Allow the other person or people to have their viewpoint.
- When talking, do so from a space of calm. If you can't communicate calmly, wait until you can.
- Only speak for resolution – looking for solutions. Think, “What outcome do I want and need, what is the middle ground and how can I move US (myself and the others) towards that place?”
- Only speak looking forward – how can we move positively in a direction that serves all parties, and resist the urge to drag up the past.
Let me know in the comments below what your main takeaway is from this vid.
With love, Bernadette